Human dependence on the World Wide Web is growing rapidly. We are used to transmit important information using common wireless standards, including Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPRS. At the same time we are not afraid that it can be stolen easily. The radio channels that are used in wireless data transmission can be easily hacked by intruders. To protect against this Wi-Fi jammer is invented.
Even if you do not own some corporation with a multimillion-dollar budget, the prospect of giving a stranger access to personal information in social networks is unlikely to please you. Having the necessary equipment, even a schoolboy can easily obtain any passwords, bank card numbers and other information.
Why do you need a Wi-Fi signal jammer?
The sustainable Wi-Fi signal jammer engages in its work a range of frequencies that block spy gadgets. In addition to data protection, the suppressor is used in cases such as:
- ensuring the operation of medical equipment. Radio signal can interfere with its normal functioning. That is why you can often find this kind of device in hospitals;
- protection against competitors. For serious companies, this has long been a necessary measure. Wifi jammers protect not only the Internet, they also block radio frequencies that are used by spy equipment. For example, hidden security cameras, bugs;
- prohibiting access to the Internet during school hours. Educational institutions use a communication signal suppressor to disable students from accessing the network during classes so that they are not distracted. This technique also contributes to fair exams and quizzes;
- security. In the subway, they are installed to protect against terrorists. Thanks to the jammer, it will not be possible to activate a bomb remotely.
Wi-Fi jammer is used in places where the work of any data transmission devices is undesirable. It is easy to use and can block communication standards Bluetooth Wi-Fi or GPRS.
What is a radio wave jammer
The Wi-Fi jammer is a device of compact dimensions. It prohibits any transmission of information through wireless radio channels. For this reason, it is also called a suppressor. A jammer is a handheld device that operates on a frequency of 2.4 to 2.5 GHz. The suppression radius depends on the model and is 20 – 30 meters. The range of some stationary samples reaches 200 m.
In addition to Internet access, this device blocks the operation of security cameras and bugs. This makes it indispensable in the fight against espionage. Depriving neighbors of the Internet is not the only purpose of Wi-Fi jammers, they are also needed by large companies and the government to protect confidential information.
How Wi-Fi jammer works
Safe operation of the network using this device is provided by the interference it generates. The suppressor, operating at a certain frequency (for Wi-Fi it is 2.4 -2.5 GHz), creates “white noise” – radio interference that overrides the other waves. Because of this, communication between phones, tablets, and other devices with the outside world is completely lost.
Data exchange between the router and devices takes place at 2402-2480 MHz. The suppressor can be tuned in this range by turning off the desired communication frequencies. In this case the power and range of some devices reaches such values that it is possible to deprive the whole house of the Internet. Such powerful suppressors are large in size, are powered from the mains and are used to disable Wi-Fi in offices of large companies and educational institutions.
Classification of jammers
There are several types of these devices. They differ in their characteristics, such as power, portability, the ability to select the frequency range. There are small pocket models with 15 m range and stationary jammers of industrial scale, the suppression range of which is not limited by Wi-Fi. By class they are divided into:
- portable. The simplest and most compact samples. Their power and range are insignificant. With these jammers it is easy to block the radio signal, for example, in public transport or cafes. Autonomous battery operation allows you to use them wherever and whenever you want;
- stationary. This is a more powerful version of suppressors. They work from the mains and have a larger range, which in some models is up to 200 meters. Such a device is a simple and reliable way of jamming Wi-Fi in the whole building. It is used by large companies to protect the information, and in places where the use of mobile devices is prohibited (hospitals, schools, etc.);
- multi-frequency. This is the most powerful communication suppressor. Can be set and work in any range (Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, GPRS, GSM, GPS, etc.). They have an intelligent mode of operation, which allows you to fine-tune the frequencies and the strength of influence on them.
The use of wireless Internet and the need to protect data on it has led to a large variety of Wi-Fi jammers. Models differ in their price, characteristics and capabilities.
If there is a need to protect personal information it is a good idea to get a suppressor. Given the large variety of these devices on the market, making the right choice is not easy. To do this, you need to pay attention to such things as:
- compactness. If there is no need for a powerful device, there are models that can easily fit into a purse or backpack and run on a rechargeable battery. Their range is small (10 – 20 meters). But for certain tasks this will be quite enough;
- battery power. It is the battery power that determines the quality and duration of operation of portable Wi-Fi jammers. Mobile jammers are very sensitive to power consumption and current;
- The range of the suppressor. The range is the main parameter of any such device. Here you need to consider not only the characteristics declared by the manufacturer, but also the presence of walls, their thickness and material in the place of use. Blocking the wifi signal is hampered by obstacles;
- the range of operating frequencies. If, in addition to Wi-Fi it is necessary to jam other communication standards, there are models that have such a possibility. To do this, they are equipped with additional antennas.
These parameters directly affect the cost of the jammer. The simplest models are cheap. If you have the desire and certain skills, it is not difficult to make such a device yourself.
Jamming Wi-Fi signal by another network
You can partially or completely jam the signal by using your access point. Here you will need a special software such as Aircrack-ng. This software works through any wireless adapter. The main thing is that it must support network monitoring.
You may need it if your neighbor has rebooted the link you are using. Once the program is running, the first thing to do is to determine the communication frequencies that you want to jam. Then switch to the desired channel and increase the power of your access point to the maximum. This will partially jam the neighbor’s router and greatly reduce the data rate.
Protection against Wi-Fi jammers
Principle of jammers is based on jamming, sending control frames and overlapping the airwaves with “white noise”. In wireless networks the control frames (service information), unlike data, are not encrypted and don’t pass authentication check, which makes the network vulnerable. An attacker can take advantage of this to carry out Denial of Service (DoS) attacks.
An IEEE 802.11w-2009 amendment has been approved to improve the security of 802.11 management frames in wireless networks. Unfortunately, the Management Frame Protection (MFP) mode does not work on all Wi-Fi access points. It should be noted that when MFP frame protection mode is turned on, wireless devices can see a decrease in throughput.
Unfortunately, because of the low prevalence of the frame protection mechanism in the iron solutions and a significant decrease in the speed of data transmission into the network, not many experts in this technology take advantage of this feature. In the end, we get that it is almost impossible to fight devices of this class with software. Devices which could “jam” the jammer also does not exist.
The most effective possible protection in this situation – buying special wallpaper, which includes metal, blocking the penetration of unnecessary radio frequencies from outside. Blocking Wi-Fi wallpaper – this is too expensive and extreme method of combat, but in some situations it is the only way out.